Here’s a short history behind each of the ward names in the Hospital.
Burkitt: Private/Semi-private Medical and Surgical
Burkitt, Denis - A student of the Adelaide Hospital who qualified in 1935 and became house surgeon. Burkitt went on to work for the Royal Army Medical Corps in Kenya and Ceylon. He was later accepted for colonial service and posted to Uganda where he identified “Burkitt’s Lymphoma” (jaw tumours). In the 1970s he identified ‘diseases of civilisation’ - caused by diet - and promoted the importance of fibre in the diet.
Crampton: Male Surgical
Crampton, Sir Phillip - One of the greatest surgeons of his era, Crampton was surgeon to the Meath Hospital from 1798-1858. He opened one of the first private medical schools in Dublin - at the rear of his house in Dawson Street in 1804 - and later co-operated with Graves in introducing teaching into the Meath Hospital. He founded the Pitt Street Institution (the nascent National Children’s Hospital) with Sir Henry Marsh and Dr Charles Johnson in 1821. His reputation was such that he was appointed Surgeon-in-Ordinary to King George IV and Queen Victoria.
Franks, Kendall - Made an important contribution to the development of surgery in Ireland by introducing antiseptic surgery into the Adelaide Hospital in the 1880s. Surgeon in both the Adelaide and the Eye and Ear Hospitals, he championed the work of Pasteur showing that it was not “bad air” but living germs that caused infection and disease. In 1884 he operated on two cases of obstruction of the small intestine. These operations paved the way for the increased practice of abdominal surgery in the Hospital - operations that were rarely carried out in the days before anaesthetics and antiseptics.
Gogarty: Female Surgical
Gogarty, Oliver St J - Surgeon to the Meath Hospital 1911-1939. A specialist in ear, nose and throat surgery, Gogarty was a colourful, larger-than-life character as famous for his literacy career as his medical work. He was a senator in the first Senate of the Irish Free State.
Lane, Thomas - Appointed surgeon to the Meath Hospital in 1922, Tom Lane worked tirelessly for the construction of a separate genitourinary (GU) unit in the Hospital. His efforts were rewarded in 1955 when the new GU unit was opened.
Ormsby: Elective Orthopaedics
Ormsby, Sir Lambert – A surgeon who served both the Meath and National Children’s Hospitals for many years. Appointed surgeon to the Meath Hospital in 1872 and took an active role in fundraising and improving the Hospital. He founded the National Orthopaedic and Children’s Hospital in 1876 (which merged with the Pitt Street Institution to form the National Children’s Hospital in 1884). With Eleanor Lyons, the Lady Superintendent of the Meath Hospital, he founded the Dublin Red Cross Nursing Sisters’ Home and Training School for Nurses in 1885 which supplied trained nurses to the Meath and National Children’s Hospitals.
Osborne: General Medicine and Nephrology
Osborne, Jonathan - “Ireland’s first nephrologist”, Osborne carried out pioneering work relating to ‘renal dropsy’ in the 1820s and 1830s. He was Clinical Physician in Mercer’s and Sir Patrick Dunn’s Hospitals where he carried out observations and research into the association of dropsy with renal disease.
She began her career in the Adelaide Hospital, first as Staff Nurse and then as Ward Sister. She was appointed Matron to Dr. Steeven’s Hospital in 1918 and subsequently played a major part in establishing the General Nursing Council (later to become An Bord Altranais).
Ruttle: General Medcine Neurology
Ruttle, Sarah - Matron of the Adelaide Hospital 1859-1872. She was responsible for establishing the first secular training school for nurses in Dublin in the Adelaide Hospital. She succeeded Miss Bramwell, a nurse who had served with Florence Nightengale in the Crimea and introduced many changes in the administration of the Hospital and the practice of nursing in the short time she was in Peter Street. These changes were embraced and developed by Ms Ruttle - the success of the nursing school being such that other Dublin hospitals soon followed her example.
Webb: General Medicine and Cardiology
Webb, Ella - Responsible for the introduction of Lady Almoner (Social Worker) to the Adelaide Hospital. She was appointed anaesthetist to the Adelaide Hospital in 1918 where she held a regular outpatients clinic for diseases of children. She emphasised the idea of the medical importance of the patient’s social situation and succeeded in having Lady Almoner appointed. She later worked in St Ultan’s Hospital and started the Children’s Sunshine Home in Stillorgan in 1930.
St. Loman’s Hospital
Following a recommendation by the sub-committee of the St. Loman’s Commissioning Group, the following names for the wards in the new psychiatric unit at Tallaght were approved.
- Rowan Ward
- Aspen Ward
- Cedar Ward