Oak Ward consists of 19 beds. Oak ward is the children's medical ward for children older than 12 months of age admitted for management of an acute medical condition such as; respiratory difficulties, asthma, endocrinology, diabetes, neurology, cystic fibrosis and mental health issues. Children and young people of all ages, who are seriously ill, are cared for in the HDU which is located on Oak Ward.
Preparing for admission to hospital can be very stressful on you and your child, for some useful advice why not visit our Just for Kids section.
Some general points to keep in mind when attending our ward:
- Bring Pyjamas and slippers for your child.
- While you can bring in food for your child keep in mind that other children will be fasting on the ward, so please be discrete.
- Patients under 16 years cannot leave the ward area without supervision.
- Limited parents/guardian accommodation is available for those who wish to stay overnight (no children are allowed in this area). Camp beds are also available for those who wish to stay at the bedside. Bathroom and shower facilities are available for resident parents. Siblings who may be staying with their brother or sister must be 18 years or older.
- For Heath and safety reasons No Hot Drinks are allowed on the wards.
- Please inform the staff on your arrival if your child has any special dietary needs.
- Parents/Guardians have no restrictions with regard to visiting their child however a maximum of two other visitors per patient are allowed on the ward. Visitors should be over 18 years or accompanied by someone who is. Visiting restrictions may apply in some circumstances, nursing staff will advise you if these are in place. If such restrictions are in place they are there in the best interest of the child or parent, for confidentiality reasons we may not be able to explain the exact purpose of these restrictions so we ask for your support and understanding.
The playroom is located at the end of the Oak ward, click on this link for more information on playroom:Play Department
The Telephone Number for Oak Ward Nurses Station is (01) 4143847